Forget the ‘terrible twos’ – meet the ‘tricky threes’! As our little ones toddle their way into preschooler-hood, they leave the obsession with ‘no’ behind, and begin to develop their own unique tastes, faves and dislikes. While it’s a unique privilege to watch them blossom into little people, it does make coming up with activities they’ll like even trickier.
In my previous post I shared our love for Sago Mini and few other apps on our Top 10 Best Educational, Interactive and Engaging apps for toddlers and preschoolers. Check it out if you haven’t already!
This post covers a master list of fun toys, crafts, apps and activities that even the pickiest, trickiest three-year-old will get into! (Originally published on Sago Mini’s website (Click Here)
22.Practice sorting with a muffin tin.
21. Play dress up (or try a mess-free virtual version!)
20. Host an epic play date.
19. Head out on an impromptu scavenger hunt – ask your child to find anything from all the purple fruits in the grocery store, to all the red cars on your road trip!
18. Have an indoor dance-til’-you-drop party.
17. Collect leaves on your nature walk and create crayon rubbings of them in a special ‘explore journal’.
16.Explore textures and practice sensory skills by placing various objects in a paper bag and have your child guess what they are.
15.Take a Portable Playset to your neighborhood cafe.
14. Work on a puzzle together.
13. Clean up your craft game with these zero-waste activities.
12. Practice organization by packing a suitcase for a pretend-play trip.
11. Fill up the bathtub with water, throw in some fun water toys and create a splash-zone play area!
10.Create an on-the-go puppet show with the Walk & Play Finger Puppets.
9.Act out your favorite fairy tale – or better yet, create your own!
8. Learn all the dance moves to your kid’s favorite song (Baby Shark, anyone?)
7. Craft a creative hat (& then try it on unsuspecting family members.)
6. Take the subway or drive to a new area, and be a tourist in your own town.
5.Set up your very own Tickle Trunk.
4.Get some help in the kitchen.
3. Check out the local library or community center for free activities.
2. Find a petting zoo – or create your own with animal figurines and stuffed animals!
1. Snuggle up with some sweets and their favorite story – this one’s fun for both the 3-year-olds and the 30-ish-year-olds. 🙂
I will love to know how you keep your little one’s busy!
11 thoughts on “Crafts, Toys and Activity Ideas for Tricky Three Year Olds”
Such fun ideas! I love the one about packing a suitcase for a pretend trip and being a tourist in your own town.
It is my favorite too and I love this age when they can be just anything
This is a wonderfully fun post with such good toy suggestions! My kids would love these!
Thanks I love Sago Mini toys and love that you can get their app characters to life !
Great ideas. Those 3 year olds are sure busy. My son loves putting puzzles together. He has a bunch of floor puzzles with nice big pieces. He’s gotten so good, he can put them together by himself.
Great ideas! I have a 3 year old nephew that would love some of these toys.
These are all great ideas! It’s hard to keep a three year old busy, isn’t it? Thanks for sharing these ideas! I will be using some of them very soon!
Tricky threes 🙂 hahaha. Wait till you see the fascinating fours .. hahaha. Every age is so unique … Your son is so adorable !
YES these are all great ideas for a 3-year-old 🙂 BUT, to be honest, my 7- and 9-year-old *still* love just about every single one of them 🙂
My three year old would absolutely love some of these! I’ll have to give them a try!
These all sound fun. My nieces would do them.